Whats Up

Latest Happening events


Maggi 4 mega pack

Saturday, July 18, 2020

Wrong command, and reprimand


https://ift.tt/eA8V8J

In the military units, a CO (Commanding Officer) is known as the father and the 2IC (Second-in-Command) the metaphorical mother. During our raising period, there were four of us Subalterns.

Morning PT is sacrosanct in every battalion. Special stress is laid on attendance by those performing sedentary duties: clerks, storekeepers, cooks and their ilk. As per the standard drill, after all Companies are assembled, the parade is reported to the Adjutant by the Subedar Major. The Adjutant reports the parade to the 2IC, and the latter, after ordering the 'officers on parade', gives a report to the CO, listing the total number of officers, JCOs and Other Ranks present. This way the CO can monitor if there is any significant number of absentees.

The battalion was to go on an outdoor training exercise and all Company Commanders, including the Adjutant, had proceeded early morning on reconnaissance. Apart from the CO and 2IC, only we Subalterns were present for PT. Being an Intelligence Officer and his understudy, I was to deputise for the Adjutant.

After taking the report from the Subedar Major, I awaited the arrival of the 2IC. It just so happened that before the 2IC could reach, the CO came and stood behind at his designated spot. Not knowing what to do, I panicked and ordered 'officers on parade', turned around and reported the parade to the CO. It was then that I saw the 2IC walking in from the mess side, where as a bachelor he was quartered along with us.

Later in the day, I was formally marched up to the 2IC.

"Why did you report the parade to the CO 20 seconds ahead of time?"

I never wore a watch during PT and could have said so. But I knew the peril of making excuses. "Sir, the CO came and stood behind and I thought you might be committed elsewhere."

"What nonsense? As Adjutant, you should know my commitments. Besides, you know I never miss PT." We knew he didn't. In fact, he was horse-fit and whichever Company he joined for road run, could not keep up with him. All Companies dreaded the prospect.

I remained silent.

"Mr Kadyan, I am counting your sins. Be on the watch next time."

"Yes sir," I felt relieved to detect the finality in his tone.

The Senior Subaltern was the next to be marched in.

"Lt Mehra, you are the Senior Subaltern?" I could overhear from outside.

"Yes sir."

"And you are the Subalterns' mentor?"

"Yes sir."

"How did you allow Mr Kadyan, an officer junior to you, to order you on parade?"

I could detect a hesitant mumbling as Vijay responded, "Sir, he didn't give me a chance. The CO had already arrived and he just gave the word of command 'officers on parade'."

"Nonsense! You should have countermanded, 'As you were — Jaise they. Mr Kadyan, report the parade to me.' How could you allow a junior officer to break the military protocol? Not acceptable."

"I am sorry sir. It won't happen again."

"Of course it must not happen, ever. I cannot accept breach of drills and procedure."

Vijay Mehra was silent.

"This time I am not putting you up to the CO, even though for an officer with over two years' service, it is a grave omission on your part. I am only making you the weekly duty officer continuously for next three weeks."

At lunch, the 2IC was the 'mother' again — soft and sweet. Since Vijay Mehra had already been punished, and being the cause of his problem, I ordered a round of drinks.

A useful lesson learnt.


from The Tribune https://ift.tt/2CoSYSA
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment